Friday 7 January 2011

Greenbank Park: The Mysterious Case of the Dead Carps

I walked through Greenbank Park yesterday afternoon with Dylan, some decent birds there; female Pintail, Fieldfare, male Sparrowhawk, Nuthatch, Great-Spotted Woodpecker, Redwings, Goldcrests, 2 imm Mute Swans, and the ever present Farm Goose.

Half of the lake is still frozen, with many dead Carp frozen to the underside of the ice, five days ago when the lake was still frozen solid, literally hundreds of fish, mainly Carp could be seen frozen below the ice. I don't know what caused it, I can only guess that the ice was so thick, not enough oxygen could penetrate the surface or simply the Carp could not cope with the severe low temperatures. Even so I was amazed at how many where in the lake, I hope some have survived.

1 comment:

colintheconroy said...

I would bet on the oxygen theory, but I'm not a fish biologist, so I might well be wrong